Boxing is a great workout; perhaps the most challenging of all sports as it requires speed, agility, finesse, power, endurance and ultimate mental strength. Recently, I got to step inside the ring with heavy weight boxing champion, David Haye who gave me six top boxing tips for beginners before putting me through my paces. The golden tips are listed below. Read carefully or risk getting knocked out! :)
1. Drink coconut water: I personally dislike the taste but David Haye highly recommends it. Coconut water is high in potassium, is low in calories, is naturally fat and cholesterol free and is super hydrating.
2. Rub some Vaseline onto your bare knuckles: This is where your skin rubs off, even with gloves on. (Ouch!)
3. Stay focused: Boxing is not just about physical ability. Concentration is vital, whether you’re tired or not.
4. Curl your shoulders over and arch your back for protection: The boxing ring is no place for straight postures.
5. Work out those legs: Power comes from the ground upwards. Your legs push off in order to generate power throughout your body and pack a punch. Who knew?!
So there you have it. Page one of the boxing Bible for beginners. Don’t forget to warm up and cool down of course.